After 7 iterations of the iOS version, this morning (March 28, 2017), iOS 10.3 official version is finally released. At the same time, there is also macOS and watchOS updates. Please note that this iOS 10.3 introduces Apple's new file system - APFS, which is different with HFS + system previously used. In other words, upgrading to iOS 10.3 will copy all the files in your iPhone. It is relatively dangerous. And it is possible to lead to data loss. If you want to upgrade your iPhone 7s/7s Plus and more to iOS 10.3, you must backup your iPhone first. To explore other surprising new features in iOS 10.3, please read on.
Feature 1. Find My AirPods
"Find My AirPods" should be the biggest new feature brought by iOS 10.3. It aims to deal with one of the biggest issues with Apple's newest product: locating your lost AirPods. Find My AirPods is a new option which is available in the "Find My iPhone" app. It is able to let a user to see the last known connection where a missing AirPod had a connection with your iPhone, allowing you to better localize where it may be located. Nevertheless, the Find My AirPods feature does not work if the AirPods are in their case or if the AirPods have geographic sensors like GPS of their own. It's functionality is not as powerful as with finding other iOS services.
Feature 2. iCloud Storage Breakdown
Users have complained that storage space of iCloud is not so intuitive. In iOS 10.3, you'll now find a new section at the top of your iCloud settings page with a breakdown of how your iCloud storage is being used. Tap on the iCloud section of the Apple ID section in the Settings app and you'll now see a bar chart of what types of data is taking up your iCloud storage space as well as listing all the apps that use iCloud. It also includes the settings for Keychain, Find My iPhone, and iCloud Backup.
Feature 3. New File System
This is also a welcome feature of iOS 10.3, though it takes place completely behind the scenes so you won't even realize it's happening. Installing iOS 10.3 will automatically update your iPhone or iPad to use Apple File System (APFS) instead of HFS+. APFS is better optimized for NAND flash storage so files can be accessed more quickly, and it also supports stronger encryption.
Feature 4. Siri Gets Smarter
With iOS 10.3, Siri gets a few new tweaks: You can now use Siri with supported third-party apps to check the status of your accounts and pay bills, and schedule rides in advance with apps like Uber. In addition, if you have a car whose app supports Siri, you'll be able to check its fuel level and lock status, and honk the horn or turn on the lights. Lastly, if you're a cricket fan, you'll be able to check sports scores and statistics for the Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council.
Other Improvements and Fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
- Support for searching "parked car" in Maps
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
- Home app support for accessory battery level status
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail